Thursday, January 3, 2013

The not so friendly secretary

This is what my vacation was filled with.  After the holidays there was a snowy day and time just being with my girls.  It was wonderful!  We headed back to work and school and that alarm at 5:45 came much to quickly for someone who had been staying up later than she should. 
 
Luckily it was only a three day week and I made it!  We have been setting some new rules at school about arrival and dismissal times.  It's been an adjustment for the students and for me as well.  Our secretary who is new this year and seems to enjoy giving me a hard time. In the morning I tried to get into the building and buzzed.  She answers, "May I help you?"  I'm thinking to myself, "Seriously lady?" But instead say, "Um, I'd like to come in to work."  She replies, "Ok.  Only if you don't let the students in."  It was the coldest day all winter and she's messing with me."  I also made the mistake of walking to subway to grab lunch.  When I came back I buzzed again.  I figured she didn't hear me so I buzzed again.  She replies, "I appreciate your patience...can I help you?" in her snottiest tone.  This is the first person people are greeted with when they come to our school.  I'm scared of her.  I can't imagine how the parents feel.  I must figure out I better way to get in the building.  However I survived, tomorrow is Friday.

5 comments:

CynthiaAvaDevta said...

Oy vey! That secretary sounds a bit like the one who works the front desk at my daughter's school. Do you happen to work at a private school? I guess I know that we don't have a lock on our doors in public school, that is why I ask. I was only able to return to work one day this week as I seem to have caught a bug. Praying it is not the flu...It has been quite a beginning to the New Year. Sending love and blessings your way. Love, Cyndy

Unknown said...

I work in a public school. We always locked our door but now they are even more strict with the tradgedy at Sandy Hook. Every door is locked and only one way in and one way out. Hope you're feeling better. Happy New Year and blessing for a wonderful 2013.

Masshole Mommy said...

Wow - sounds like someone is on a little bit of a power trip! That's seriously not cool.

The secretary at my older son's school isn't always so nice, either, but I am only there once a week to volunteer.

Kristin said...

Yikes, Kath! lol!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh boy! I hope she figures out that she needs to flip that attitude around. :(